If you have a good hair day but don’t take a bunch of selfies, does it even count?
Ok, ok, I’m feelin’ myself today and in a great mood so let me have my fun…
It’s been 1 year and 5 months since I started growing my hair out again after wearing it short for several years (like, buzz cut short) and can honestly say this is the fastest my hair has ever grown.
Trimming it every 6 months, hardly fussing with it, and it’s growing like a weed…
I attribute the improvements in length retention, growth, and overall health to:
- Detangling, washing, moisturizing, and combing into simple protective styles like braids or 2-strand twists every 1-2 weeks.
- Always wrapping my hair in a satin scarf before bed. Literally every single night – I’ve been so diligent, y’all, this is a first for me! Edge game on 1,000! Very few single-strand knots! Hooray!
- Eating well, staying hydrated, and abstaining from alcohol.
- Finding out I was pretty anemic via bloodwork and finally supplementing correctly for that.
- Never using any kind of heat styling tools. Air drying only (which takes some rather significant time management skills and a bit of planning as my hair continues to get longer), and getting creative with tools like old school foam roller sets.
- Never detangling or brushing dry hair.
- Never using any kind of chemical processing agent, color-lifting agent or dye.
- Cleansing only once weekly maximum, usually every 10-ish days but it depends on where I am and what I’ve been doing.
- Learning to feel confident regardless of what my hair is doing and lovin’ on MY OWN UNIQUE TEXTURE exactly as it grows!
Happy Saturday! Bette