This skillet cookie is an adaptation of the Bon Appetit Giant Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie recipe and combines a few of my favorite dessert elements: luxurious brown butter, sea salt, toasted almond and chocolate – with toffee-like crunchy cookie edges, and a delectably chewy cookie center. Think: chocolate chip cookies and your favorite fudgey brownies linked up to make a tasty, golden, nutty cookie baby…
My modifications on the original recipe linked above are as follows:
- I gently browned the butter in a 9-10″ cast iron skillet, removed the skillet from the heat when butter golden brown and fragrant (approx. 5 mins over medium heat) and let the browned butter cool 10 minutes before combining with brown and white sugar in a large mixing bowl
- Swapped 1.5 teaspoons vanilla for 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Swapped 50% of the all purpose flour for lightly toasted almond flour
Brown Butter, Toasted Almond and Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 stick + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour, toasted and cooled
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Pre-heat oven to 375º
In a clean frying pan or skillet lightly dry-toast almond flour over low heat until fragrant. Set aside in a small bowl and allow to cool.
In a medium-sized bowl sift together flour, baking soda and sea salt. Stir in toasted almond flour and set aside.
In a separate large bowl, combine brown and white sugars. In a 9-10″ cast iron skillet, brown the butter until golden and fragrant, then promptly remove skillet from heat and allow to cool 10 minutes before adding to sugar mixture in large bowl and stirring until combined.
Add the room temperature egg, and vanilla and almond extracts to the large bowl and stir to combine.
Add dry ingredients to the large bowl and stir thoroughly until combined. Throughly fold in 2/3 cup of chocolate chips.
Spoon cookie dough into buttery, still-warm skillet. Press dough gently into an even layer that fills the bottom of the skillet, then sprinkle the remaining 1/3 cup of chocolate chips on top.
Bake for 18-20 mins until puffy and golden.
Remove skillet from the oven and allow cookie to cool completely in skillet for an hour.
Slice into 8 wedges and enjoy.
3 responses to “Recipe: Brown Butter, Toasted Almond and Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie”
Wow– this looks so good. I’ve never made a skillet cookie before, but I might have to try it! 🙂
p.s. I recently started a blog, it would be so great if you checked it out! 🙂
Ohhh I think you’ll love it if you do. And I’ll check it out 🙂 cheers, Bette
[…] Recipe: Brown Butter, Toasted Almond and Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie — E.K. Yoga […]